Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Explore, within reason



We all know that trail runners love to explore. Mountains, fields, dirt roads, forests. Those are the pictures captured on every trail running product, because that’s the heart of trail running. 

Sometimes, however, when I decide to explore a new route, or a new junction on my normal route that goes off into the unknown, I wonder if I am alone in the following though process: ‘What if this trail ends just up ahead, and I don’t achieve the distance I planned to? Then I will have to go back, find another trail to make up the distance, and run a route that isn’t neat!’ 

Heaven forbid we should run a route that isn’t a simple out and back, or circular route. Nothing ruins a run more than running little bits and pieces simply to achieve the distance you set out for. 
That’s probably why I find such comfort in my well known Saturday morning route! 

Are runners OCD, or is it just me? 


No comments:

Post a Comment