Monday, September 30, 2013

UROC

UROC (Ultra Race of Champions) took place this last Saturday.
What interests me about international trail running is that there really isn't a 'World Cup' type of event, that everyone aims for to see who is best (sure, there is an event called the World Cup, but hardly any of the main sponsored athletes attend it). This was the Ultra Sky running final, but by no means was it a true representation of who is best in the world. Somehow, I really feel like this is a good thing.


Cameron Clayton at mile 18- Pic: Travis Trampe


Firstly, the reason I say it wasn't a true representation is that many of the big names were not able to run UROC due to injury. Many of the big names didn't make it to the race due to their focus being on other events on the calendar. Notably Tony Krupicka, Tim Olsen, Miguel Heras, Ryan Sandes, and a few other big names weren't running due to injury or other race focus.

Trail running is so dynamic, with so many different disciplines, that there really is no way to put your finger on who is best, and I think that really keeps things exciting. I also feel like that represents the challenge of trail running on a more personal level: You may train hard with extreme focus on a specific type of race, only to find that the training doesn't necessarily carry over into a different discipline, and as such there is no way to ever really conquer it. You may train for a short mountain race, only to find that you simply can't keep up on a long flat course, or visa-versa. You may train for a hot race, and find that even with all that training under your belt, you just can't handle a cold course.

UROC showed that despite our best predictions of who is the best in the world, everything can change on race day. When the runners line up on the start line, we can guess all we like, but no one will know until the finish line is crossed who will be the best.


Kilian and Dakota- Photo: Rob Timko


I find this inspiring and challenging. Even the best of the best who contended at UROC will never be able to stand back and say that they are unbeatable. That inspires me in my own running to know that the real battle, the real challenge and the real race is just me against myself. The people who I might race against are really just there to join me in the journey.

(Photos taken from irunfar.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment